Seniors “in motion”
Being physically active is one of the most important things older adults can do to maintain their physical and mental health and quality of life as they age. There are many benefits of regular physical activity:
- Continued independent living
- More energy
- Fewer aches and pains
- Better posture and balance
- Improved self-esteem
- A healthier weight
- Stronger muscles and bones
- Relaxation and reduced stress
- Reduced risk of heart disease, falls and injuries, obesity, high blood pressure, type II diabetes, osteoporosis, stroke, depression and cancer
Regular exercise improves the life of older adults by helping to maintain their ability to perform tasks independently, by improving their mental and physical health, and by decreasing their dependence on health care services.
The general goal of Forever…in motion is to increase opportunities for physical activity among older adults living in congregate housing. The target group is adults 50 years and over.